Khayar Lake Trek
- View Detailed Itinerary
- Cost Info
- Useful Info
- Gear List
Khayar Lake trekking route in the Annapurna region has been developed to suit the trekkers demand to find the new destination in the Annapurna region. Khayar Lake Trek offers a breathtaking panoramic view. It is a newly promoted beautiful Trekking route with mix culture of Gurung and Magar people and exceptional mountain views of the Himalayas including Mt. Dhaulagiri, Annapurna, and Nilgiri, Khayar Kopra. The most beautiful Khayar Lake is the key attraction of this area except. Khayar Lake trek is one of the trekking routes in the Annapurna area which takes in the center of the Annapurna area with stunning view of the Annapurna and Dhaulagiri and Nilgiri Ranges. Khayar Lake follows the quite trails away from the popular and busy routes passing through the traditional villages, lush forest. In the Khayar Lake trek, we will enjoy the view of great Annapurna Himalayan range in the Annapurna area, sacred Khayar Lake (4500 Meter) as well as the best Sunrise from the Ghorepani poon hill 3210m.
Khayar Lake trek is a beautiful trekking area with the mix of culture and excellent Mountain View. Beside the scenic extravaganza of the peaks, the warm hospitality of the Gurung people along the way. Khayar Trek is the well off the beaten trail, on to the long, remote mountain ridges, through exposit forest and traditional villages. Annapurna region into the wild glacial areas below Annapurna South is demanding but well worth the effort. Ever-changing views of the stunning, snow-covered Annapurna inspire each step along the way. The pleasant tranquil trail starts from Pokhara. From Pokhara, our walk begins in the lower, more temperate region of the forested hillsides and Gurung and Magar village. Nayapul will lead you through forests of rhododendron, with a glimpse of some wildlife and vegetation, orchids send out perfume along the trail during spring.
As we move higher through the rhododendron woodland and the view of Annapurna South, Hiunchuli and Machhapuchhare are astounding. We will be amazed to see the breathtaking view of snowcapped peaks. We leave habitation behind and walk through forests till we finally emerge above the tree line at Kopra Danda, a fantastic mountain wilderness. You will enjoy the views of the Annapurna massif from Khobra Hill, sacred Khayar Lake (4500m) that offers Khun Khane Festival (Yak blood drinking) which is really popular. The trek back to Pokhara takes us to Ghorepani, Poon Hill, Tadapani, and Ghandruk.
Day 01: Arrival at Kathmandu
Day 02: Kathmandu Valley Sightseeing pre- Treks (1350m) Our Tour Guide led
Day 03: Drive Kathmandu to Pokhara (950m) - 6 to 7 hours
Day 04: Drive to Nayapul (1010m) -1: 45 hours and trek to Ghandruk (1960meters) - 5 hours
Day 05: Trek Ghandruk to Tadapani 4-5 hours
Day 06: Trek Tadapani to Dobato - 4 to 5 hours
Day 07: Trek Dobato to Chhistibung -5 to 5 ½ hours
Day 08: Trek Chhistibung to Kobra Danda (4020m) -4 to 5 hours
Day 09: Trek Kobra Danda to Khyar Base Camp-5 to 5 ½ hours
Day 10: Explore day in Khyar Base Camp (visit Kalibaraha holy Lake and Annapurna south glacier)
Day 11: Trek Khayar Base Camp to Kobra Danda -5 to 6 hours
Day 12: Trek Kobra Danda to Sewata -4 to 5 hours
Day 13: Sewata to Ghorepani (3210m)
Day 14: Hike up Ghorepani to Poon Hill (3210m) and trek to Tikhedhunga
Day 15: Tikhedhunga trek to Nayapul and drive back to Pokhara
Day 16: Drive back to Kathmandu early in the morning by Tourist Bus - 6 to 7 hours
Day 17: Final Departure
- Airport / Hotel / Airport pick up & drop by private car/van depends on group size.
- 3 night hotel in Kathmandu on a twin sharing bed and breakfast basis.
- Guided Kathmandu Valley Sightseeing tour with English speaking Tour guide, and transport by private car / van depends on group size.
- 2 nights hotel in Pokhara on a twin sharing bed and breakfast basis.
- Annapurna Conservation Area Trekking Permit.
- TIMS Trekking Permit (Trekking Information Management System) Card for the Annapurna Trek.
- Full board meals during the trekking (Meals are choices from Menu) Breakfast, Lunch & Dinner).
- Twin sharing Lodges, Guesthouses accommodation during the trekking.
- An Experienced & Professional Government license holder Trekking guide trained in wilderness first aid.
- Trekking porter carry all personal gear and group equipment( 1 porter for 2 person basis)
- Food, accommodation, salary, local tax, all trekking equipment and medicine for all trekking staff.
- Proper Insurance for all trekking staff including porter.
- Above the Himalaya duffel bag. ( If you need, please let us know before you book the trip and remind us in our pre- meeting at our office)
- Group medical supplies (first aid kit will be available).
- All necessary paper works, office Service charge and all Government Taxes
- Comprehensive pre-departure information and trip dossiers
- Above the Himalaya Gifts (T shirt for Gents & Pashmina shawl for Ladies, Trekking certificates)
- Pokhara to treks start point Nayapul and trek finish point to Pokhara transport by private car/van depends on group size.
- Kathmandu to Pokhara and back to Kathmandu transport by tourist bus. (if you want to take a flight or want to travel by private car is available, by adding extra cost)
- Welcome/Fare well Nepali Culture Dinner in Kathmandu
- Lunch and Dinner in Kathmandu and Pokhara ranges from US $ 12- US$ 14 per day.
- Nepal entry Visa Fee (You can obtain a visa easily upon your arrival at Nepal’s Airport in Kathmandu).
- International/Domestic Airfare and Airport Tax, Sightseeing entry fee for the city tour.
- Any kind of drinks, hot and cold, hot water, hot shower, alcoholic and soft drinks.
- Dessert, chocolates, personal shopping, laundry, phone call, internet, Camera battery charging.
- Personal trekking equipment, travel and medical insurance & helicopter rescue, personal expenses.
- Tips and Gratitude (Tipping is expected, but it is not mandatory)
- Any others expenses which are not mentioned on price Includes section
Passport and Visas:
First, be sure you have a valid passport with at least 6 months validity from return date. You can obtain visas for Nepal from the Nepalese Consulate in your country or up on arrival in Kathmandu Airport. Nepalese visas cost USD 25 for 15 days and USD 40 for 30 days till date.
Get the required visa for Nepal.
You can get Nepal visa prior to arrival from the Nepalese Embassy at your home country. Likewise, you can easily get an up on arrival visa at Kathmandu airport and other different borders from Nepal. This is for those who travel from India and Tibet. For more information and download please visit Nepal Visa Information
Bring Official Papers
Some of the required official documents are your valid passport, 4 extra passport sized photographs (for trekking permits), travel insurance, airline tickets and luggage tags. Visas can be obtained upon entry into Nepal. For detail information we request you to visit our visa page.
Money & Credit card Info
We find that most of the credit card, master and visa card is blocked from your card provider. It may be because of a security reason. It, sometimes, may bring you in problematic situation that you can't get money from ATMs and that you find difficult to pay for your treks and tour. To find yourself free from this problem, you can call to your card provider before you travel to Nepal and inform there that you are traveling to Nepal. Ensure them to give the authorization for the payment. In Nepal you have to pay 3.5 % credit card commission s per Nepal Bank rules, on top of your payable amount for the trek cost. So, please be sure that you bring some cash in USD to pay us. Likewise, be sure you have brought some small amount for your daily expenses as well as for those items which are not included in our cost. We request you not to change money in the Airport. The exchange rate is very low there. Our office provides you the facility to change your money. Or, you can take help from Money Changers in Thamel
Our clients must have comprehensive travel insurance package. Their insurance must cover against medical, personal accident, emergency evacuation, trip cancellation, lost of gears, natural calamity, theft of or damage to baggage etc.
Load shedding (Electricity crisis) in Nepal
We are sorry to inform you that though Nepal is rich in water resource, there is electricity crisis in Nepal. It is more likely that there is electricity off for some hours in day and night time. Most of the hotels in Kathmandu, Pokhara and other cities are likely to have no battery backup. Air condition may not work and, sometimes, TV and other electric utensils may not run. Some hotel is likely to run the TV and AC also. However, only few of them are in this category.
So, be prepared for this while you are traveling here. For your ease, we recommend you to bring the flashlight with extra bulbs and batteries.
Who can trek?
No special degree of fitness is required and that there is no age barrier. However, in the areas over 3000m altitude, extra care should be taken. One can trek who have strong legs and the spirit for adventure to explore the exotic will enjoy the thrills of trekking in the hills of Nepal. Normally, for weary trekkers we have a list of short, easy and exotic treks and for the experienced trekkers we offer a longer trek with lots of excitement and adventure. We encourage all men and women, families, students and professionals around the world to enjoy the enchanting trekking in Nepal. You can join us as an individual team member or with your own group. We commit to arrange a best trekking that delight you in the Nepal Himalayas. If you can have fun walking for 3-6 hours up and down hills to Nepal, pack your luggage and join us for an exhilarating and unforgettable journey. All the necessary things for your trekking will be arranged by us. What you can do is to enjoy the beautiful scenery and magnificent view of Nepal Himalayas.
Our Trekking Dates
Most of our treks start on the third day of your arrival. On the first day of your arrival, we will pick you from the airport and let you know your hotel. However, it depends on your arrival time. If your flight is early, we are likely to invite you to our office and make yourself comfort with ideas and brief information on your trek package. If you arrive at night, all the arrangements are likely to made the morning. Second day, it is our package to take you for sightseeing tour within Kathmandu valley. However, the trekkers who have limited time can start their trekking from the second day. We can arrange all the necessary trekking permits and other utensils in advance in case you have limited time. It is your third day that you will fly out of Kathmandu. However, if any further arrangement is still at wait, you can enjoy your trek the next day.
Clothing and Equipment for Traveling in Nepal
Trekking in the Himalayas need to arrangement of equipment as you have to find yourself comfortable at higher altitude. The basic clothing item that you are expected to be prepared with are well described here. Remember that excess baggage is likely to be a burden for yourself and your supporting staff. "Pack light, but pack right", is our motto. This will allow you to enjoy a comfortable journey with your energies and enthusiastic zeal focused on the exploration of this enchanting Nepal scenic beauty. Please visit here for Clothing and Equipment list
Buying and Renting Equipment in Kathmandu
It is not really necessary to spend large amount of money buying extra equipment and clothing prior to your trip. It is because most of the trekking equipment can be hired from many adventure shops within Kathmandu. Most of the gear is locally manufactured (hence a lot cheaper). Some Chinese gear are likely to be more expensive but qualitative. Sleeping bag and down jacket are easily rented. Each item can be rented for less than USD 1, for a day. You have to manage other items buying them yourself. However, these items are more likely to be cheaper than those in your hometown. We will arrange all the necessary items you need on the second day of your arrival. Moreover, we ourselves will fascinate you to buy the goods.
Vaccination for Nepal
All travelers should consult with their physician or update on vaccination requirements before travel. (Your doctor or health-care provider will determine what you will need, depending on factors such as your health and immunization history, areas of the country you will be visiting, and planned activities)
For traveling to Nepal; we recommend you to take a vaccination of Polio, Tetanus, Typhoid, Hepatitis A, Hepatitis B, Rabies etc, it is not really must but recommended.
How to Book
While you chose which trip you wanted to go with, contact us to our head office Thamel Kathmandu Nepal by mail or phone, email is more easy and clear options, as soon as we get your email or call we will process for your booking.
We need 20% booking amount to confirm your booking, the payment can be made through the Bank transfer, Credit card payment (Master/Visa card ) or through online money transfers also Money Gram, Western Unions or others. After we get the 20% amount we will confirm your booking and you will get the official booking and payment receipt. The final balance for the tour will be paid up on arrival in Kathmandu.
For more info please visit how to book the trip
The following basic equipments checklists should help you with your packing. Please remember that you should always try to keep the weight of your equipment to a minimum. At the start of the trek your packed trek bag should weigh not more than 33 pounds or 15 kg.
01. Back pack (60 ltr -70 ltr) - with comfortable shoulder straps, frame, and back pack cover (line the bag with polythene).
02. Waterproof Trekking shoes with spare laces – recommended high ankle with good grips,
03. Camp shoes (sneakers and/or sandals)
04. 2 synthetic /waterproof Track Pants
05: T-shirts - 3
06. Fleece jacket or pullover or Sweater also recommended
07. 1 Fleece Wind-Stopper jacket (optional)
08. 1 Down Jacket or Gore Tex Jacket heavy one
09. Thermal Inners.
10. Socks, Cotton 2/3 pairs, Woolen 2/3 pairs
11. 2 pair Lightweight gloves, in winter recommended, Heavyweight gloves or mittens with a waterproof shell outer
12. Sun hat/Woolen cap, or scarf
13. Sun protection cream.
14. Underwear (6)
15. Hiking shorts (2)
16. Lip Balm/ cold cream.
17. Walking Stick – recommend having it minimum 1
Other necessary equipments
1. Sleeping bag rated to (-20 degree Celsius), if traveling in winter sleeping bag liner also recommended
2. Headlamp (e.g. Petzl Zoom) with spare bulbs and batteries
3. Personal Medical Kit
4. Large plastic bags - for keeping items dry inside trek bag
5. Daypack (approximately 2500 to 3000 cubic inches)
6. Water bottles (2) 1 Liter each.
8. Quick dry Towel- It should be light / thin.
Khayer Lake Trek October
Thank you very much for organizing this wonderful trek for us but first and foremost for giving usa a very best guide and porter Purna and Hem.
Purna is a very professional, caring and conscious guide we ever met. He knows the mountains extremely well, he chose the route for us exactly as we wanted which goes remote across beautiful forest, little village with fantastic views. Moreever he picked the timing for us very well as we wanted. As a couple of days we would start walking more early to arrive the destination before the lunch set in. Purna selected good, clean accommodation, good, healthy food. Hem was great porter always wita ready smile. He even delivered tea to our room before breakfast when we asked.
Overall we had best time in Nepal
Thank you and your great team
Annapurna Khayer Lake Trek October 2013
A wonderful 12 days trekking with Purna Karki as our guide and Hem, as our porter. Purna’s guidance was excellent, early morning for up-hill days to beat the heat and sleep longer for down hill days.
Our age is above 60 years, so the pace of trekking was maintained for our best experience!
Purna’s knowledge of the area was proven to be excellent. The guest house choices and help with food choices also made our experience so wonderful. I would recommend Purna and Hem and would like to trek with Above the Himalaya Trekking whenever I returned to Nepal Again
What Travellers Say
Trip Facts and Figures:
Trek Name: Khair Lake Trek
Trek Duration: 17 Days
Best Season: February to May and September to November are the best month to enjoy Khair Lake Trek. Trekking is possible in July & August too. However, clear visibility may not be as consistent as in other seasons due to unfavorable weather condition.
Trek Grade: Moderate
Accommodation: Tea House
Group Size: Min.1 to Max 10 persons in a group
Min. altitude: 1065m
Max altitude: 4620m
Mode of Travel: Either four wheelers like car/van/bus or flight to and from Pokhara
Price: For the most up-to-date and reliable price, please Contact Us
- Annapurna Base Camp Trek
- Ghorepani Poon Hill Trek
- Jomsom Muktinath Trek
- Mardi Himal Trek
- Round Annapurna Trek
- Annapurna Royal Trek
- Siklis Trek
- Annapurna Sanctuary Trek
- Tilicho Lake Trekking
- Dhaulagiri Round Trek
- Annapurna Circuit with ABC Trek
- Annapurna Circuit With Jomsom Muktinath Trek
- Annapurna Panorama View Trek
- Annapurna Base Camp Trek 07 Days
- Annapurna Ghandruk Trek
- Annapurna Sunrise View Trek
- Annapurna Circuit Short Trek
- Poon Hill Short Trek
- Panchase Hill Trek
- Poon Hill Hot Spring Trek